Thursday, March 03, 2005

How judges cope with threats

The Christian Science Monitor has this article titled How judges cope with everyday threats on the job.

The magnitude of this problem struck me a few months back when one of the local judges who is about my age told me a story that freaks me out completely, and so of course I insisted that it be retold the next time after that when we were again in a tale-telling mode.

When I was a law clerk, it was about the time of the letter bomb that killed an appeals court judge in the 11th Circuit (as I recall). So, we got a memo from the Administrative Office of the United States Courts, and it read like a script from the Road Runner cartoon - don't open a mysterious package if it has exposed wires or is ticking or says Acme Bomb Company on the return address. (OK, I made that last part up.)

Soon after we got the memo, the computers showed up.

"I'm not opening it," I said. "You open it."

No comments: